But, you know, I just remembered why it's been so neglected: I can't think of what to write about.
That said, I think I just found something.

The picture above is drawn by Dawn D. Davidson. She's quite a good artist. I first saw her work because of some Narnian drawings she'd done. And while they're quite good, that's not why I'm bringing it up.
It's because of one of the other book series she loves and has drawn pictures of. A series that I first learned about a long time ago, but only read the first book last fall and didn't get into until just last week: The Chronicles of Prydian by Lloyd Alexander.
Most of you, no doubt, will nod wisely and say you read it when you were a wee child. I probably should've, too, but I didn't. So, if you haven't read it, you're not to late to, either.
At any rate, this picture may not seem as funny as it really is if you don't understand the story (The Black Cauldron, second in the series). Basically---well, look at the expressions on their faces. The boy (Taran) is all excited because he just got a sword. The girl (Eilonwy) is excited because he asked her to gird it on him. Eh, wait up. The artist gives a better description:
"Allowed to join the quest to recover the deadly Black Cauldron from Annuvin, the land of death, Taran is presented with his first official sword, and hastens to ask Eilonwy to gird it on him. The implication being that a young man would ask this honor of his 'best girl', so to speak, she is pleased...at least until he inserts his foot into his mouth by adding that she's the only girl around to do it. The ensuing spat is quite entertaining."
Yep. Lots of fun.

2 comments:
Love the picture and the story behind it. :D
Haha, those books are really good. My dad read them aloud to us a long time ago. He always made fun of the Welsh names because he didn't know how to pronounce them. :o)
Post a Comment