When I get the rare spare moment, I'm currently reading Summer Lightning by P. G. Wodehouse. It's a Blandings Castle book and I think it's the precursor (well, one at least) to Heavy Weather. We meet (I don't believe they've been introduced before, but I suppose I don't really know) Ronnie Fish, Sue Brown, and that slimy detective, Percy Pilbeam. In the part I most recently read, a character---one Ronald Overbury Fish---got into a fight with the staff at a club. It wasn't exactly the waiters' faults, as they just kind of happened to be in the way when Ronnie wished they wouldn't be. Wodehouse adds in this hilarious paragraph to describe the encounter:
"Ronnie Fish in the course of his life had had many ambitions. As a child, he had yearned some day to be come an engine-driver. At school, it had seemed to him that the most attractive career that the world had to offer was that of a professional cricketer. Later, he had hoped to run a prosperous night-club. But now, in his twenty-sixth year, all these desires were cast aside and forgotten. The only thing in life that seemed really worth while was to massacre waiters; and to this task he addressed himself with all the energy and strength at his disposal."
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
*laughs* Oh, yay for Wodehouse!
And I like your profile picture. :o)
Post a Comment