I thought, rather than leaving a long comment on Inky Scrubs' blog, I would write a post about the subject, despite the depressing lack of comments on my last post. ;-)
I'm not panicking. In fact, I'm rather calm about the entire matter. Might I remind you, gentle readers, that there were some amongst our midst (I, myself, can be counted among the guilty) that were thrown into a fit by the announcement that one Catherine Tate would play one Donna Noble for entire series as the Doctor's companion? Indignation and fear reigned. Disbelief and shock ran rampant. But, gradually, the idea won over it's audience. Time dulled the shock and brought about adjustment, and once the series started, it was not long before many, if not all, of Miss Tate's former opponents were brought over to her side by her delightful portrayal of Miss Noble. This all, in the end, proved that those in charge of Doctor Who had their wits about them and knew exactly what they were doing in choosing Miss Tate. If this is the case, should one really worry about Matt Smith and his portrayal of the Doctor?
Sure, one might wonder who exactly Matt Smith is. Well, he's young (only 26), from Northampton, and a relatively unknown actor. That said, I've actually seen him in bits of things. But, at any rate, you all probably already know all that. I ask, though, should his relative lack of experience bar him from being good at the role of the Doctor? I would beg the contrary, noting that some of the best actors for roles have been fairly unknown beforehand.
(On a side, Tom Baker was unemployed when he was chosen to be the Fourth Doctor and he did a simply brilliant job. And Peter Davinson, the Third Doctor, was also young when he was offered the role.)
Steven Moffat, who is responsible for such brilliant episodes as Blink, The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances, was astounded by Mr. Smith's abilities, saying "As soon as Matt walked through the door and blew us away with a bold and brand new take on the Time Lord, we knew we had our man." Mr. Moffat is the new Executive Producer of Doctor Who and surely can be counted upon to have some knowledge of what would make a good Doctor.
The Head of Drama for BBC Wales, Piers Wagner, said that "within moments of meeting Matt he showed the skill and imagination needed to create a Doctor all of his own." Surely the Head of Drama knows a thing or two about acting.
Also, let it be noted, gentle readers, that one should be careful about comparing Mr. Smith against David Tennant. Mr. Tennant has done a wonderful job portraying the Doctor, but he is not the definitive rule. He himself must be measured up against the other nine actors who have played the Doctor, as each actor must have been measured against those before them.
As for the role of the Doctor---it's a challenge, one must admit. The Doctor has to change from each regeneration to the next and yet still stay the same. His core is the same, but his attitude and mannerisms change---and yet, in viewing each Doctor, one can see little things picked up from the ones before. To portray a role that is all at once yours and at the same time someone else's, even nine someone else's---o! what a glorious challenge!
And as for outward appearance---that does not signify much. Of much more importance is the character and the portrayal given by the actor. One can forget the outward looks if the character portrayed is engaging and well-acted. The Doctor's mannerisms and actions are much more important to his character than his looks.
I hope that you, o my dear gentle readers! may understand, in some part at least, what have I attempted to say through these rambling notes. It is understandable for some to be cautious, but, dear readers, please do not panic or run around like certain domestic fowl who have been decapitated. All the same, for myself, I wish Mr. Smith the best of success with his inter-stellar, inter-time endeavors.
This is the total sum of the matter: Do not worry, look forward with anticipation, and best wishes to Matt Smith---may your travels in the TARDIS be many and long!
Monday, January 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I actually saw the Dr Who Confidential and am much more relaxed about the whole thing now, so this post isn't as needed as it once was, but thanks for it anyways. :) But the note on my blog still stands, now as more of a "Who on earth is this guy?" than an actual protest against his being the Doctor. Thing is, we don't have much to go on apart from his appearance, which actually sort of won me over. Mind you, I wasn't immensely impressed by his hair or the potential for emo-ness - it really was the fingers that got me. How can someone with such long, dynamic, wibbly-wobbly fingers *not* be the Doctor? (I do jest in part.)
All I can say is that I can't wait to see the new doctor in action, no matter who is playing WHO! (Of course we still get to see the 10th Doctor specials first.)
!
I don't feel worthy to weigh in on all this. Just sit back and laugh.... *grin*
Post a Comment