Monday, April 25, 2005

Guess what?

You guessed it...or not...a car (truck to be precise) crashed into our barbed wire fence today.
You see Sister-1 and I were "diligently" (actually we WERE...amazing, no?) doing our Algebra, when suddenly, there was this big CRASH. In reality, it sounded like the wind had knocked over one of our garbage cans, but... We looked at the window and saw a pickup down by the fence. My mom decided to go down and investigate. She came back up a few minutes later and told Sister-1 and I to go pen up the cows. We valiantly set out to do the quest that had been set before...oh, and it was a LOT more interesting than Algebra. :-) We were supposed to lock them in the back half of the pasture. We shut the gate and went to make sure that they cows were in the back pasture. Sister-1 discovered that they were on the opposite side of the fence--in the FRONT half of the pasture. Never the less, we could not abandon our duty, so I went and got two scoops of cubes in a bucket to rattle. I started panicking when I couldn't find them. Sister-1 showed in the most caring tones (haha) that they were right in the trees and told me to start rattling. I started and said
"They're not coming." (Or something to the effect), to which she replied,
"They're not blind, they'll come." (Again, probably not quite right...neither will anything else I say) and then...
"When they start running, we'll run...They're running!" We started running, too. I got into the back pasture and dumped the cubes, assuming that, as Sister1, had pointed out, the cows were not blind. I assumed wrong. I dump and run, planning to climb over (or somehow get over) the fence into the orchard, when I here...
"You, you bungled it!!"
Whoops... How? The cows stood right outside the gate, evidently not realizing that the cubes were on the OTHER side of the fence. So...after I minute of yelling at eachother, I picked up a handful of cubes and rattled in the bucket. It worked. They came...too close for comfort. They started eating, but Heffy (because I had the bucket in my hands) started coming towards me. I put down the bucket, saying,
"See? There's nothing in here."
It worked. She resumed eating, and I made a speedy get-a-way.
Sister-1 still says I bungled it, but...
Oh, and the driver and her baby were both fine. Weren't sure at first, but they were fine.
Exciting, no?
:-)

3 comments:

e said...

You all need to stop being so afraid of those cows! :)

Marigold said...

I WASN'T afraid!!! I just didn't want to be holding the food that they were charging at, full steam ahead!!!

Marigold said...

Well, at least not VERY afraid...